Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fooling Around With Free Motion Quilting

So I signed on to participate in a free motion challenge for the year with SewCalGal.  There is a monthly challenge consisting of a video demonstration.. You practice at home then post a picture of your quilting on your blog or Flickr.  Then there's a drawing.

This month's quilting technique was leaves.  I have to say that as a beginner, the leaf design actually isn't too difficult.  Here's some pictures of my practice:


The black thread is my first attempt.  My stitch length is uneven, but I do like most of the shapes.  I had issues with the bottom, so I tried a different thread.  As you can see, I did worse with the pink thread.


Whiskers I found when I looked at the bottom of the quilting.  I adjusted the top tension and didn't see improvement.

I messed with the tension and got this mess with the pink thread

While attending a Philly Modern Quilt Guild sewing night, I tried a 3rd time using Aurifil thread.  My first attempt wasn't great, but after adjusting the tension once, I had a great result!





No comments:

Post a Comment